Bladder neck incision surgery is a procedure done for regulating the normal flow of urine in men who have problems while urinating comprising incontinency, decreased flow and others related difficulties. The problem stems from urethral stricture or bladder neck stenosis. The surgery is done through the neck of the bladder helps the surgeon to detect the obstruction in the area and accordingly remove it for restoring the normal functioning of the bladder.
Bladder neck obstruction can lead to serious difficulties and the possible causes for the occurrence of this disorder can be:
- Enlarged prostate, also referred to as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is the most common cause in men for bladder neck obstruction.
- An injury or surgery can cause scarring of the urethra or the bladder neck.
- Use of medications over a prolonged time period can also cause bladder neck obstruction.
- Bladder stones or prostate cancer can also lead to bladder neck blockage.
The doctor’s help should be sought immediately in case of bladder neck blockage to prevent serious problems arising due to the accumulation of urine in the system. According to the patient’s condition, the doctor decides whether medications can bring relief or a surgery is needed. Ultrasound and cystoscopy are performed to understand the extent of the obstruction and thereby facilitates the doctor to take the necessary steps.
- Medications- Generally the bladder neck obstruction treatment is initiated by the usage of alpha-blocker drug therapy which helps to relax the muscles of the bladder. Sometimes, along with this self-catheterization is also done which helps one to empty the urine from the bladder. Catheterization may be temporary or recurrently done depending upon the severity of the condition and how well the patient responds to the given medications.
- Surgery may be required if the condition doesn’t improve with medications and self catheterization. Surgery however does not cure the cause of the obstruction but helps to provide relief from the pressure formed in the bladder due to the blockage. If an incision does not drain the urine from the bladder and the condition of the obstruction worsens, then the surgeon is likely to perform an open surgery to reconnect the bladder neck to the urethra for restoring normal functioning of the bladder.
The surgeon guides a telescope through the urethra into the bladder. This helps the doctor to detect the area of blockage and removes it with the help of a small knife like instrument. A catheter is then inserted into the bladder and the fluid is then regulated in and out of the bladder which helps to settle if there exist any minor problems and thus helps in the complete treatment. The catheter thus effectively drains the urine from the bladder.
The patients undergoing a bladder neck incision surgery should keep certain precautionary aspects in mind. These include:
- After the surgery, patients are susceptible to infections, pain or discomfort and burning sensation while urinating.
- Sometimes, there persists a risk of injury to the urethra or the bladder due to the insertion of the medical instrument.
- Acute bleeding can also occur which needs immediate doctor’s help. However, in the post operative span, urine may be blood stained which is not a cause of worry.
- If the condition of the patient after the bladder neck incision surgery doesn’t improve, then an open surgery may be performed.
- Patients sometimes may develop breathing difficulties, deep vein thrombosis and other allergic reactions.
- Strenuous exercises should be avoided after the operation and patients are advised to consume 2-3 liters of water on a regular basis.
This surgical procedure effectively leads to a definite improvement in majority of the patients helping them to cope with difficulties in passing urine. It also lessens the pressure on the bladder and caters to the problem of frequent or less urination. After the surgery, 90% of the patients may face retrograde ejaculation (when ejaculation enters the bladder) which is not a major concern unless the man wants to father children in the future. In rare cases, people have reported impotence after undergoing this surgery.
In India, the cost for urology treatment is affordable and the hospitals ensure a high quality treatment to the patients. The cost for bladder neck incision BNI surgery generally ranges from $2031 to $ 3000. However, it might vary from person to person, depending on the patient’s condition and the procedures used for the treatment. The choice of hospital also matters along with the prescribed medications which might cause the cost to increase. However, the amount needed here is much reasonable in comparison to the price of treatment in the western countries. Thus, India is preferred by many international patients who avail their necessary treatment here.
- Hospital Stay : 3 Days
- Single Room Cost: $2625
- Twin Sharing Cost: $2205
- Post Discharge Stay in India: 5 Days
Some of the leading hospitals in India rendering effective treatment to patients suffering from bladder neck obstruction are:
- Fortis Hospital Group ( Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Mohali)
- Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
- SevenHills Hospital, Mumbai
- Max Super Specialty Hospital, Delhi
- Continental Hospitals, Hyderabad
Some of the most skilled doctors in the field of urology offering bladder neck incision surgery in India are:
- Asish Sabharwal ( Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi)
- Sanjay Gogoi ( Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon)
- Vikram B Kaushik (Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon)
- Gagan Gautam ( Max Super Specialty Hospital, Delhi)
- Feroz Amir Zafar ( Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi)
A patient from St. Petersburg, Russia, narrates his experience about the successful BNI surgery he received in India:
“I had a prostate enlargement issue and was facing a lot of difficulty in my daily life. I began looking up for the treatment cost in my city which to my dismay was beyond my budget. I found the package cost to be much lower in India and thought of availing the treatment there. A friend referred me to MedTour2India and without any further delay, I contacted them. They immediately got back to me and answered my every query. They sought the reports of my condition and accordingly suggested some of the best urological hospitals in India. They also gave me a fair idea about the estimated treatment cost that would be incurred in the process, Due to their constant cooperation I was convinced of my decision of getting operated in India. MedTour2India came to my help once more with the bookings of my travel and accommodation. They even got an appointment done at the hospital. Soon I got myself admitted and underwent a successful bladder neck incision surgery. The catheter was shortly removed and there was a remarkable improvement in my condition. My doctor was extremely helpful and I received full guidance from MedTour2India who took care of all my needs including the appointments and conveyance. My recovery and treatment in India was made possible by their efficiency and their prompt help.”
A 34 year old man from Abu Dhabi narrates:
“I had a serious blockage in my bladder and this was acting as a disrupting element in my normal life. I was facing severe difficulties and self catheterization was of no help. I had to undergo a bladder neck incision surgery and I chose India to get a cost-effective treatment done. MedTour2India came to my help in the process and gave me all the possible information regarding the hospitals and their respective treatment package. After getting an appointment done in Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai through them, I visited the urologist who briefed me about every possible complication I might face after the surgery. With my consent, the doctor operated me and fortunately apart from blood stained urine for a few days I had no major problems. As the surgery was minimally invasive, my recovery was also fast. I was constantly aided by MedTour2India who helped me with the daily proceedings at the hospital and my checkups. I was discharged within a week’s time and I am extremely grateful to my doctor for helping me to lead a healthy life again. The team of MedTour2India acted as my constant support and made my treatment hassle free. I am thankful to them for their valuable guidance and would recommend one and all to seek help from them in case of any medical treatment.”
A patient from Nigeria
“I used to urinate frequently and soon developed pelvic pain. On getting some tests done, the doctor said I had urinary tract infection. Since my husband was posted in India for his job, I decided to fly to India for getting my treatment done there. In the meanwhile, my husband got in touch with a medical tourism group, MedTour2India who collaborated with us on the proceedings of the treatment. They provided us with the list of the hospitals giving successful treatment for different urological problems. They also informed us about the estimated cost that would be needed for my treatment. An appointment was made by them and on the scheduled date I went to see the doctor. Studying my reports he prescribed me to go for another urine sample test. He then after proper examination, recommended me to begin with medications. I had some complications like burning during urinating and thus was prescribed some pain relief medications also. For a considerable period of time I consumed the medicines, and there was a gradual improvement in my health. I was also advised to drink plenty of water. Regular follow ups with the doctor and screenings were recommended for me. Throughout this process of my treatment, MedTour2India was a real help to me with the conveyance and bookings. They stayed in touch with me enquiring about my progress and came to my aid whenever I was in need. Without MedTour2India’s assistance and my doctor’s constant guidance, my health wouldn’t have improved. I am thankful to them for their valuable contribution and would recommend any patient in need to get in touch with MedTour2India for assured help.”