Our brain consists of various nerves and chemicals through which the signals from all the body part basses till the different parts of brain. Due to some reasons like stress, less sleep, large consumption of alcohol of caffeine, allergy towards some ingredients etc. these chemicals in the brain can show some resistance while functioning. As a result one experiences sudden electrical shocks in the brains which lead to seizures and strokes. When a person gets a seizure, he loses his conscience, loses all awareness and sees white spots in front of him. This chronic disorder is known as epilepsy.
The Epilepsy has various degrees of severity based on which the person can be treated. In the early stages of epilepsy, the damage can be repaired through medication however, if the epilepsy is of a higher degree, a brain surgery can be done. Following are some of the methods to treat epilepsy:
- Anti-epileptic drugs- The epileptic person is kept on continuous medication so as to decrease the seizures.
- Vagus nerve stimulator- This is a device which is inserted in the skin, inside the chest, exactly at the place from the nerve runs to the brain. Every time during a seizure this devices identifies the change happening in the body and helps to reduce it.
- Ketogenic diet: This diet is prescribed to people wherein the intake of fat is high and that of carbohydrates is low. This special diet helps to build the necessary anti-epileptic ingredients in the body.
- Brain surgery: The last option to treat epilepsy is a brain surgery. In this surgery, the damaged part of the brain is removed.
Different types of Epilepsy Treatment
- Resective Surgery: In this surgery through a small incision, the surgeon removes the part of the brain which is suffering from seizures. This part can be as the size of a golf ball.
- Multiple Subpial Transection: In this surgery, various parts of the brain which are suffering from seizures are removed. However, this surgery is very rare.
- Hemispherectomy: This surgery is done when an entire side of the brain is suffering from seizures. The surgeon removes the layer of this damaged brain in this surgery.
- Corpus Callosotomy: This surgery is done to reduce the seizures and not to stop them completely. In this procedure some nerve fibres in the brain are cut so the seizure does not spread to the other hemisphere of the brain.
Here are some set of rules for the epileptic patients:
- After the surgery, the patients are required to stay in the hospital for 5-6 days.
- After going home, the patient must not engage in heavy physical activities. He must take a leave from his work.
- The patient must stay away from television, mobiles, head phones etc.
- He must not take stress.
The epilepsy is a very delicate surgery and can lead into a number of complications like- coma, sudden stroke etc. However due to the advancement in science and technology the success rate of epilepsy surgery is increasing in India. The current success rate of this surgery is 70-80%.
The epilepsy surgery is a very delicate and risky surgery. The cost of this surgery starts from 5500 USD. The cost of the surgery increases when the case is serious and more complicated. The cost may also vary depending on the type of epilepsy surgery to be done, rooms chosen in the hospital, stay in the hospital and other various factors. The patient might be required to pay some extra incidental charges before and after the surgery.
Following are some of the top-rated hospitals in India for epilepsy:
- Max Hospital , Delhi
- Apollo Hospitals in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai, etc.
- Continental Hospital, Hyderabad
- Aster Medicity, Kochi
- Wockhardt hospital, Mumbai
- Global hospital
- Nanavati Hospital, Mumbai
Following are some of the leading surgeons
- Dr. Swatantra Mishra
- Dr Sanjeev Kumar
- Dr. Sachin Kandhari
- Dr. Pervez Ahmed Khan
- Dr. Dewaker Sharma
“I am Imani and I live in Zimbabwe. 7 months ago, my son (6 years old) started getting seizures. The seizures started occurring very often. So we consulted a doctor. We did many tests, CT scans, MRI etc. and showed them to my doctor. He told me that my son was epileptic and he needed a surgery immediately, because a large part of his brain was damaged due to the seizures. I was feeling helpless because the cost of this surgery in Zimbabwe was exorbitant and there was a very less chance of survival of my son even after surgery. When I was reading about this disorder on the internet, I came across MedTour2India which provided healthcare tourism for people all over the world. So I wrote a mail to them asking for the cost of Epilepsy Treatment and the other details. They reverted back within a day with a very reasonable package. In the next month we flew to India. MedTour2India had made the provision for my son’s flight, visa and also the accommodation in India. After meeting up with our doctor, I was at ease. The MedTour2India staff was always there with us and helped communicating with the hospital staff. My son was gone through a Hemispherectomy and it was successful. We flew back to Zimbabwe 2 months ago and my son is now muc better. With the help of MedTour2India, my son got a new, happy life.”
“I am Pete and I am Kenya. I am 22 years old. A month back I returned from India after a successful epilepsy. 6 months ago, when I was started to get very serious seizures, my parents rushed me to the nearest hospital. After a number of test our doctors told us that a small part of brain is damaged and I need an epilepsy treatment. My parents decided to operate me in India instead of Kenya. For guidance, they took help of MedTour2India which is a medical tourism company in India. They booked the tickets for us, booked hotels in India, booked the appointments with the doctors etc. All this was provided to us under a very reasonably priced package. After flying to India, the staff guided us through each and every formality at the hospital and they were very supportive. The epilepsy was a success. I was not allowed to move for the next 2 months so we stayed in India till my full recovery. After the permission of the doctor, MedTour2India also took care of some sight-seeing plan for us. This medical tour to India was a success only because of MedTour2India. I thank them whole-heartedly !”