With the increasing age, the quality of all the bones in the body start degrading. The bones of the vertebrae also start losing its strength. The muscles, ligaments and also the connecting tissues that all together make up the spinal column start degenerating. The word “stenosis” is taken from a Greek word which means choking. Due to the degeneration of the various spinal components, the spinal nerves in the back, especially in the lower back area suffer from lumbar spinal stenosis leading to back and leg pain. This happens because the degenerated vertebrae put pressure on the nerve roots making them dysfunctional. One experiences the following when he is suffering from lumbar spinal stenosis:
- Extreme leg pain
- Pain in the thigh and buttock area
- Tingling feeling that radiated from the lower back till the feet.
In order to release the pressure on the nerve root, a surgery has to be done. A person suffering from lumber spinal stenosis has the following surgery options available which aim at decompressing the nerve root:
- Facetectomy/ Foraminotomy : This surgical procedure remove a small part of facet (which is a bony structure) which puts pressure on the nerve root.
- Laminectomy : in this decompression procedure, the surgeon removes the part of lamina to release the pressure. Or sometimes the removal of lamina also allows the surgeon to access the other facets that are compressing the nerves.
- Interspinous Process Distractors surgery: An X-STOP devices is inserted in the lower back, between the columns where the bone is offending the nerve. Using this device, the bone is separated from the nerve root, relieving the pressure.
- Microendoscopic Decompression : In this method the decompression procedure is carried out by inserting a tube in the spinal column and to relieve the pressure using small tools and instruments instead of operating in through a large incision.
For the best results of the lumbar spinal stenosis surgery, one must follow the following points:
- The patient must not undertake any heavy physical activities after the surgery.
- He must continue the physiotherapy prescribed by his doctor regularly. Only physiotherapy can bring back the strength of the damaged bones.
- He must take a holiday for at least 1.5 months after the surgery.
Till date, the success rate of the lumbar spinal stenosis surgery in India has been as high as 90-95%. In some years of survey, the success rate was 100%. Lumbar Spinal Stenosis surgery can lead to very minor complications which can be solved easily but in maximum cases, the patients report a huge difference in their health. The cost of lumbar spinal stenosis surgery in India starts from 6000 USD. The cost changes depending on the type of surgery to be done, the type of room, complications involved in the surgery etc. However, this cost is one third than in the other countries.
The spine surgeries in the following hospitals of India are considered to be the best:
- Leelavati Hospital, Mumbai
- Primus super Speciality Hospital
- Apollo Hospitals in Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, Pune, Hyderabad etc.
- Fortis Hospital in Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad etc.
- Max Super Speciality Hospital
- Medanta Medicity, Gurgaon
- Moolchand Orthopaedics Hospital
Following are some of the most experienced doctors in the field of spinal surgeries:
- Dr. Paresh Doshi
- Dr. Alok Gupta
- Dr. Sandeep Vaishya
- Dr. Arun Saroha
- Dr. Ram Chaddha
- Dr. Asha Bakshi
- Dr. Harshavardhan K. Hegde
- Dr. Arvind Kulkarni
- Dr. T.S Kanaka
- Dr. Deepu Banerjee
“I am from Ethiopia and I am 69 years old. I had always heard about people going to India for getting various surgeries with medical tourism companies. Honestly speaking I never trusted this concept until 5 months ago. I was experiencing severe back and leg pain while walking, running and during other physical activities. So I consulted my doctor who told me that I had a serious damage in my spinal column due to the increasing age. The only option to repair the damage was to undergo a surgery. However, the cost of the lumbar spinal stenosis surgery was too high in my city. There was no way that I could afford such a cost. Just for getting some information about the surgery in India, I contacted MedTour2India. They not only gave me information about the surgery and hospitals in India, but they also they made a suitable plan for my trip to India. The way their staff was handling my case was very impressive and the most important thing was the cost. They provided me a 2 months plan at a very reasonable cost. I immediately decided to travel with them. They managed the visa, insurance, hotel bookings etc. everything for me. In India too, the hospital chosen by MedTour2India were very good. Along with my son, the MedTour2India team was also taking care of me till my recovery. Travelling to India for surgery with was the best decision of my life and I thank them for their brilliant medical services.”
“I am Aleane from Kenya. I am 60 years old. 8 months ago, I suffered from severe lower back pain. Slowly, the pain radiated till my legs and I couldn’t do my regular activities at all. The condition was worsening so after doing some tests, my doctor told me that I was suffering from lumbar spinal stenosis. I still had a good life in front of me to live so I decided to get operated. But I decided to travel to India for the surgery because of the financial issues. I took help of a company called as the MedTour2India which I found online. My husband and son communicated with them for each and every detail of the tour. They took care of everything from filling the visa forms till booking an appointment with the doctor in India. After flying to India I was operated in the next 3 days and the surgery was successful. MedTour2India also arranged a small trip in Mumbai after my recovery. They took care of all the small details till we flew back to Kenya. Without them, this tour would have been very difficult to handle. But MedTour2India made this journey a smooth one. I recommend everyone to choose MedTour2India if you are searching for a cost effective and hassle free surgery procedure in India !”