Scoliosis is a disorder related to the spine. In normal cases the spine of the person is straight. However, in case of Scoliosis, the person’s spine is in a curved shape. The curvature of the bone or the angle of the curve can differ from person to person. But in medical terms, when a person has an angle of the spine of more than 10 degrees, then it is considered to be Scoliosis. The Scoliosis patients get an improper posture due to the spine. The shoulders and the legs of the person look uneven. Scoliosis is caused by the following:
- Birth defects
- Cerebral Palsy
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Genetic conditions like down syndrome
In such a case, a surgery is carried out to rectify the curve.
Scoliosis can be operated in the following 3 ways:
- Spinal Fusion method: In this procedure, the vertebrae where the curve can be observed are cut and fused together at a straight angle (fixed together) using metal screws, hooks and rods. Over a period of time, the bones starts developing in a straight angle and the fixtures get dissolved. However, the fused vertebrae lose their flexibility in this method.
- Growing system method: This process is carried out only in scoliosis in small children. In this process, a rod is fixed in the spine in such a way that the growing bones grow only in that straight angle like the rod. After every 8-12 months this rod is required to be lengthened so as to match its size with the growing bones. At the end of the process, if still a small curvature exists, then a spinal fusion is also done.
- Fusionless method: In this surgery type, the growth of the spine is stopped. Screws are fixed on the outer side of the curvature so as to put pressure on the spine. This pressure makes the bones dense and slows down the growth of the spine. Fusionless rectification of spine helps to reduce the curvature. It can also affect the posture of the person.
Nowadays, in most of the scoliosis surgeries, spinal fusion technique is used. It is always recommended to get the scoliosis surgery done at a very early age. As the age increase, the bones start becoming hard and strong. In an early age the bones are flexible and can get moulded in the straight shape. When the parents start observing the curve, they must immediately contact a doctor. According to a medical survey, in 80-90% cases Scoliosis surgery is successful. In only 10% cases there can be small complications or a need to revise the surgery.
The cost of Scoliosis surgery starts from 12,000 USD in India and it can range up to 20,000 USD. This cost includes the doctor’s fees, hospital charges, etc. There can be extra incidental charges payable apart from this cost.
- Hospital Stay : 5 Days
- Cost: $12600 – $18500
- Post Discharge Stay in India: 20 Days
Following are some of the best hospitals for this surgery:
- Global Hospitals
- Max Hospital , Delhi
- Wockhardt Super Speciality Hospital, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital, Vasant Kunj, Delhi
- Apollo Hospitals
There are a number of scoliosis specialists in India as follows:
- Dr. Arun Saroha
- Dr. Vikas Kathuria
- Dr. Dheeraj Bhojwani
- Dr. Sajan K. Hegde
- Dr. Vivek Garg
- Dr. Nidhi Aggarwal
- Dr. Niti Kaur
“I live in a small city in Nigeria. 3 years ago we were blessed with a baby boy. As he started growing, we observed that his back was taking a slight curvature. His entire posture was changing day by day. So we went to a doctor. Our doctor told us that our son was suffering from Scoliosis. He also told us that the only way to cure it was through a surgery. Because the scoliosis was at a very basic stage, we decided to operate is immediately. Unfortunately there were no latest technologies available in our region that could guarantee a successful surgery of our son. When I shared my problem with one of my friends, he told me about medical tourism in India. With his help, we searched some contact numbers. I wrote a mail to a company called MedTour2India. They called me and explained me each and every detail about how everything is done in medical tourism. I wanted to give my son a happy and healthy life in the future, so I took this big decision and finalized a plan along with a reasonable cost. They helped us make passports and visas of me, my son and my wife. This was the first time we were traveling out of our city. We were very nervous but as soon as we landed in Delhi, MedTour2India took good care of us. Our son was operated through a fusing technique. Language was a big problem for us in India but they helped us to solve all the problems. After staying for 1.5 months in India, we flew back home. We could see a huge difference in our son’s spine. I thank MedTour2India, the doctors and the other staff for treating us as their family and helping us throughout the journey.
“I am Jeanne. I live in Canada with my sister. My sister gave birth to a girl 3 years ago. 10 months after the birth, as the baby started growing, we started noticing a curve in the baby’s back. She also had a slight hump on the back. I and my sister were very worried about it so we showed her to the doctor. Our doctor explained us what scoliosis was and also told us that it can be permanently corrected using a surgery. However, the surgery cost in Canada was too high for us to bear. A few days ago I had read in a magazine about how India is a developing medical hub and how many people from all over the world go there for their treatments. I told my sister about flying to India but she was hesitant because we did not know any good hospital in India. When I was searching for the hospitals, I read a review about a medical company called MedTour2India which provides Medical assist to the international patients. I wrote them a mail for enquiry about scoliosis surgery in India. They mailed me back with the names of hospitals, cost, and also some photos of the hospitals. The package that they were providing was one third of the cost in Canada. We decided to fly to India. My sister’s daughter was successfully operated. I thank MedTour2India whole heartedly for everything they did for us.”