Surgical oncology is done to treat malignant tumors. This developed as a subspecialty of general surgery due to the rise in multidisciplinary cancer care and for patients to get a better understanding for the latest techniques of treatment. A surgical oncologist should be proficient enough and possess knowledge about the major type of malignancies. Thus, to treat a cancer patient, oncosurgery is required along with chemotherapy, radiation therapy and others depending on the condition of the patient.
Depending upon the size, location and stage of the malignant tumor, the oncologist decides to perform oncosurgery. It plays a significant role in treating cancer both at the early as well as the developed state. The different methods to perform oncosurgery are as follows:
- Excision – This comprises the removal of the malignant tumor .Resection of a primary tumor can also stop the spread of the disease in the body. For instance, removal of the cancerous cells in breast cancer can help in the patient’s recovery or resection of a tumor in the colon can make the patient get rid of the disease. Advances in the field of oncology have been made possible through staging, biopsy that helps the surgeon to conduct a
- Regional lymph node removal – Lymph node involvement often provide the oncologists with significant information and helps them to predict the mortality rate of that particular cancer. Often a sentinel node biopsy offers necessary information regarding the extent and type of invasive effects of the primary malignant tumor. Often the need arises to remove the lymph nodes in an oncosurgery. This might cause pain and give rise to associated difficulties in patients.
- Local and regional recurrence – This method offers significant information regarding the spread andprognostic results of cancer in the patient’s body. Generally, the possibility to eradicate a local recurrence depends on the patient’s ability regarding pain control aspects. According to findings radical methods have not improved the survival rates.
- Surgery for distant metastases – Surgery is not effective for those cancers which have spread from its primary site. Thus, surgical treatment for metastasis is not always successful. For example- in cases of liver cancer, rather than the size and the stage of cancer what is more important is the presence of cancer antigen in the liver. However, oncosurgery of metastatic cancer might help in reducing the cancer related pain in the patient along with controlling bleeding and infection.
Oncosurgery is done by local tumor excision, removal of the regional lymph node and sometimes also includes surgical resection of metastases from the main cancerous region. This helps in preventing the spread of the cancer to the rest of the body. Oncosurgery is often followed by chemotherapy and radiation therapy for an effective treatment. In majority of the cases, the biopsy and the surgery are done simultaneously to remove the cancer cells.
Patients are advised to follow certain things in the post operative period to facilitate the process of recovery in a better way.
- Oncosurgery requires psychological readiness of the patient.
- Often post operative pain arises along with slow recovery.
- Complexities might arise from tumor excision or resection.
- Surgeries of colon, urinary tract, intestines require special urinal and fecal waste devices and might also need help from a stomal therapist.
- Cosmetic appearance and reconstruction surgery might arise in case of breast or prostate surgery.
- Neurological problems might occur for a temporary period.
The prognosis after surgery is dependent on the stage of the cancer and the spread of it from its primary site. Also, taken into consideration is the cancer type. Generally, the success rate of oncosurgery has seen a rise in the recent years. The success of the surgery has helped in curbing the recurrence of the diseases thereby increasing the life span of the patient. It is considered that after five disease free years, the patient is said to be cured of the disease and chances of recurrence is low. The success rate of oncosurgery is thus decided after the fifth year with no recurrence or spread of cancer in the body.
India offers a low cost oncosurgery compared to other countries of the west. Depending upon the type of cancer and the therapies required for an effective treatment, the overall cost ranges between $2700 to $5500. At government hospitals the amount gets further reduced thus helping the needy people to avail the treatment. With an experienced team of oncologists and advanced means of therapies, the hospitals provide successful treatment to the cancer patients. The affordable package thus attracts many international patients to get their surgery and the following required treatment done in India.
India has a wide network of hospitals providing successful oncosurgery to patients:
- Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital, Mumbai
- Asian Cancer Institute,Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon
- Nanavati Super Speciality Hospital, Mumbai
- Rajiv Gandhi Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
- Globals Hospital, Mumbai
- Max Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
- Dharamshila Cancer Hospital and Research Center, Delhi.
Some of the best oncologists in India are:
- Rajesh Mistry (Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital)
- Meenu Waila (Max Super Speciality Hospital)
- Prabhat Gupta (Dharamshila Cancer Hospital and Research Center)
- Rajeev Agarwal ( Medanta- The Medicity)
- Anil K Dhar (Fortis Memorial Research Institute)
- Kamran Khan (Global Hospitals)
- Suresh Advani (Jaslok Hospital, Mumbai)
- Boman N Dhabar (Tata Memorial Hospital)
- Vinod Raina (AIIMS)
- Ashok Vaid (Medanta- The Medicity)
Some of the international patients have shared their stories about their treatment in India.
- A 65 year old patient from Kenya writes:
“I was detected with lung cancer which had spread to the brain. My health was worsening and I did not want to get operated in my hometown due to lack of proper health facilities. My daughter searched the internet and came across MedTour2India. The team provided us with the necessary details about the hospital and the best surgeon under whom I can get my treatment done. They recommended me Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital where I was thoroughly scrutinized by the doctors. The oncologist advised 6 chemotherapies along with 35 radiation therapies for me. The treatment was painful towards the end as complications arose. Slowly I recovered and my health too improved. My doctor was extremely cooperative and the medical staff too was caring. All of my needs were taken care of. MedTour2India also made my experience in India worthwhile as they provided the required health information to my family whenever the need arose. With their help I could get my treatment successfully done at a reasonable amount and they also helped my family in getting the accommodation while my stay in the hospital. The team was dedicated enough to take care of my additional needs and without their aid the process would not have flowed smoothly. I am really thankful to MedTour2India and the entire team of the hospital for making my treatment a successful one and helping me throughout, with my battle with cancer.”
- A patient from Ontario says:
“I had a lump on the left side of my neck and on visiting a doctor, he advised me to get a CT scan done. Though the result showed no abnormal growth, yet I was worried. I decided to go for a biopsy and got detected with lymphoma. I was immediately told to start with chemotherapy. The treatment cost was higher here and that made me rethink about where to get myself treated. India had crossed my mind as I have heard several stories of patients getting successfully treated there. I decided to get my treatment done in India and now I know that my decision was right. In the course of finding a hospital and getting myself admitted, MedTour2India came to my utmost help. They not only provided me with the information of the major cancer hospitals but also offered me with the approximate cost that would be incurred for the treatment. With their help I got hold of the most efficient oncologist of Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. I successfully underwent the chemotherapies. Difficulties followed. I had swelling in the bones and numbing also. The doctor prescribed me with medications to give me some relief. The team of MedTour2India constantly kept in touch with me helping me with medicines, travel and my stay in Mumbai. I would like to recommend any cancer patient to get their treatment done in India as one can be assured of an effective treatment here. The doctors are dedicated and take utmost care in saving lives. Lastly, MedTour2India acted as a constant guide to me without whose support things would really have been difficult. I am heartily thankful to them.”