The aorta helps in circulating the pumped blood from the heart throughout the body. A thin and weakened section of the wall of the aorta may gradually enlarge to give rise to an abnormal condition called aortic aneurysm. This disorder occurs mainly in the abdominal region leading to abdominal aortic aneurysm. Common cause of the specific ailment is the deposition of fatty acids in the artery walls known as atherosclerosis. This makes the walls less elastic, often causing internal bleeding and persistent pain. Patients suffering from the ailment receive proper and effective treatment in India. Experienced and highly trained doctors operate with the most advanced technology to boost healthy functioning of the aorta. Thus, exceptional and successful treatment is rendered out to patients detected with aortic aneurysms. With the consistent aid of proficient cardiovascular specialists and cardiac surgeons and technologically equipped hospitals, the success rate of aneurysm surgery in India has increased on a global platform. However the moderate abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery cost prevalent in India does not compromise with the quality of treatment provided to patients. Hence, the medical procedures undertaken by the doctors have been able to win the trust of many international patients, from all across the world.
Abdominal vs thoracic aortic aneurysm surgery
Aortic aneurysms may arise in the chest or the abdominal region causing discomfort associated with pain. Thoracic aortic aneurysms are found in the chest region while aneurysms can also arise in the abdominal cavity. Different degenerative diseases, atherosclerosis, genetic disorders and inflammation of the arteries may cause thoracic aneurysm.
The surgical process comprises an open surgery and an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) respectively. The incision size for the former method depends on the location and the size of the aneurysm. Likewise, for an ascending aneurysm, a larger cut is made through the breastbone. For a descending aneurysm, the incision may be done from the shoulder blade around the side of the ribcage extending downwards. However, if treated with evar then only a small incision is made and with the help of aptly designed surgical instruments a stent graft is inserted inside the aorta to facilitate normal functioning and prevents further damage. However, evar process is most effective in the abdominal aneurysm disorder and thoracic aneurysms cannot always be treated by this means. Open surgery in both the cases, abdominal or thoracic has been performed from ages and more than 90% of the patients have undergone a complete recovery.
Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) Surgery can be done via two methods.
- Surgery is performed in acute phases when the aneurysm is larger than 5.5 cm and increases by more than 1 cm every year.
- The traditional surgical method is the open surgery where the affected region of the aorta is opened and replaced by a synthetic graft. This provides support to the aneurysm thus preventing it from increasing in size. Stent graft insertion is another advanced remedial process where a graft is placed over an artificial rigid tube called a stent. This procedure is carried out by making a small incision in the abdominal region and the fitted stent protects the aneurysm from further damage.
The cost mostly depends and varies on the type of surgery being performed. The abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery cost in India commences from $10000, whereas the cost amounts to $25000 in USA. Thus, the required price is much lower in India when compared to other developed countries of the west. To cater to the needs of the patients, several hospitals across India provide valuable and affordable aortic aneurysm surgery. The estimated repair cost in India ranges between $8,500 up to $ 11000, with the average price being $9000. The surgical cost also is much cheaper in the government hospitals in comparison to the private ones.
India has some of the famous vascular surgery hospitals providing beneficial treatments and aneurysm repair at a reasonable cost. Experienced cardiac surgeons with proper and advanced technology perform successful surgeries every year which at times includes complex heart conditions. These hospitals attract a considerable number of international patients every year with its efficient medical care. Among them, the leading ones are:
- Apollo Hospitals ( Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata)
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital, Delhi
- Escorts Heart Institute Hospital, Delhi
- Max Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Narayana Hrudayalaya Heart Hospital, Bangalore.
Some of the best Government hospitals performing successful cardiac surgeries include AIIMS (Delhi), Safdargunj Hospital (Delhi) and National Heart (Delhi) Institute among others.
Eminent cardiac surgeons in India whose surgical success in treating abdominal aortic aneurysm has created a remarkable medical history are namely:
- Dr. Upendra Kaul , Dr. Sanjay Gupta (Fortis Hospital, Delhi)
- Dr. Budhaditya Chakraborty, Dr. Md Abrar Nizami (Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, Delhi)
- Dr. Sreekar Balasundram (Columbia Asia Hospitals, Bangalore)
- Dr. Dilip K Mishra, Dr. C.S Vijayashankar ( Apollo Hospital, Chennai)
- Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty, Dr. Colin John (Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City, Bangalore)
- Dr. Manoj Kr Daga, Dr. Ramesh Seshadri (Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata)
Aortic abdominal aneurysm repair has a success rate of 90-95% whereas the thoracic aneurysm has a success rate of 99%. Yet, emergency surgery performed for a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm can prove to be risky at times. Also, recovery time for people with open- abdominal surgery is longer than those treated with endovascular surgery using a stent graft. If stent graft insertion is done, then there exists a risk of blood clotting. However, there has been no complaint regarding long term complications and this procedure reduces the risk of restenosis (re-occurrence of contraction of a blood vessel) as well. Follow ups are done after regular intervals and generally both surgical processes ensure long term survival rates. However, recovery is also dependent on the age of the patient along with the site of the aneurysm and functioning of the kidney with other considerable factors that may increase the risk of the surgery or aneurysm repair.