There are two carotid arteries in our sides of the neck. They are known as the internal carotid arteries and internal carotid arteries. The internal artery is responsible for carrying the oxygen rich blood to the brain and the external artery is responsible to carry the oxygen rich brain to the face neck and the scalp.
In this disease, the arteries get covered with a thick substance like plaques or clots. This creates a blockage in the arteries and stops the blood flow that occurs through these arteries. As a result, the oxygen cannot reach till the brain giving the person a brain stroke. Sometimes, it may also happen that the small particles of the clots or plaques travel through the veins and get stuck in the small arteries in the brain. The plaque can be caused due to the following:
- High sugar levels because of diabetes and insulin intake.
- Excessive smoking
- High blood pressure
- High level of fats and excessive cholesterol in the body.
The treatment of Carotid artery disease depends on the degree of plaque or blood clot created in the arteries.
If the damage is less than 50%, the doctor suggests to go through a course of medication. The accumulated plaque gets dissolved due to the medicines and the blood flow starts again like normal.
If the damage is more than 50%, the only way to treat the carotid artery disease is through a surgery. The surgery is called as the Carotid Endarterectomy.
In this surgery, the doctor makes a cut in the carotid artery. By inserting small tools inside the artery, the accumulated plaque gets removed carefully. This artery is then stitched back again. After the surgery, a check is kept on the blood flow till it gets back to normal.
The carotid disease is totally based on the lifestyle of the person. It can occur if the person has an unhealthy diet, high intake of fatty foods, a stagnated lifestyle etc. In order to avoid this disease, the person must take care of the following:
- Proper weight: The people who have a hereditary problem of obesity must take care of maintaining their weight according to the body mass index (BMI).
- Physical activity: If cholesterol gets detected in a person’s body, he must start working out immediately. It is always better if he takes precautions at an early age and starts working out at a very early age. Working put helps in breaking down the cholesterol and gives a healthy lifestyle keeping the person overall healthy.
- Diet: The person diets must consist of green vegetables, fruits and lots of water. He must not consume too much of milk made substances and junk food because they are most responsible for creating cholesterol in the body.
- Smoking habits: The particles of smoke can get accumulated in the carotid arteries helping in causing plaque very easily.
This surgery does not have any big complications. However, 3% patients can suffer some neurology related problems. There are also minute chances of getting an internal bleeding. After the surgery, the doctors keep monitoring the flow of the blood till it gets to normal. This surgery costs approximately 4000 USD in Indian Hospitals. This cost consists of the doctor’s fees, the hospital charges and other basic charges. One might need to pay some additional charges in case of some extra amenities availed in the hospital.
Following are some of the best hospitals to get the Carotid Artery Surgery in India:
- Asian Heart Institute, Mumbai
- Medanta Medicity, Gurgaon
- Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai
- Kohinoor Hospital, Mumbai
- Aster Medicity, Kochi
- Fortis Escorts Hospital, Delhi
- Fortis Hospitals in Mohali, Bangalore and Mumbai
“I am John from Kenya, 8 months back I got a very serious brain stroke. I consulted a nearby doctor and he informed me about this disease. My Carotid Artery was 60% blocked and there was a higher risk of getting a fatal brain stroke. After searching on the internet, I came across MedTour2India which provides medical tourism to the people. I immediately contacted them. They managed my visa, tickets and insurance documents and in the next 1 month I flew to India for the treatment. The staff of MedTour2India was accompanying me everywhere before and also after the surgery. The hospitals and doctors they suggested were very experienced. My surgery was successful and now I’ve never experienced any stroke.”
“I am a resident of Ethiopia and I am a mother of 2 children. After my pregnancy I started gaining a lot of weight. My diet was also not so healthy. 5 months ago I started feeling dizzy every day and my brain ached continuously. So I consulted a doctor. He told me that my carotid arteries had large amount of plaque in it and I need a surgery immediately. The latest technology for the surgery was not available in our country so I decided to fly to India for the surgery. For some guidance I contacted MedTour2India who help patients get treatment in India. They sent me all the details of the hospital in Mumbai. It also took care of our travel. In India, I got a very good treatment from the doctors as well as from the staff. I thank the Medicure company for supporting me through this difficult time.”