Our nervous system is responsible for the working of our entire body. It includes the brain, peripheral nerves, spinal cord and the cerebrovascular system. In general terms, the neurosurgery is also called as the brain surgery. The neurosurgery is a medical speciality which includes the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and the rehabilitation of the problems which affect our nervous system directly or indirectly. Any disorder which can in the coming future stop the working of the brain or our nervous system is operated by doing a neurosurgery/ brain surgery because the disorders related to the nervous system are fatal in nature.
Available Neuro & Spine Surgeries
- Microdiscectomy Spine Surgery
- Craniosynostosis Surgery
- Epilepsy Treatment
- Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Scoliosis Surgery
- Herniated Disk Surgery
- Hydrocephalus Treatmnent
- Intracranial Aneurysm Treatment
- Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Treatment
Neurosurgery is that field of medicine which requires the highest amount of precision and expertise. A small mistake in a neurosurgery can lead to the death of the patient. To attain this level of precision, the best diagnostic and surgery machines and equipment are being developed to enable the perfection needed in the surgery. In India too, these internationally developed and tested neurosurgery equipment are being used on a large scale.
Following is some information about the technology used in the best neurology hospitals in India:
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery: In this surgery method, the neurosurgery is done with the help of robotic equipments. The first hospital in South Asia to introduce the stereotactic radiosurgery and to carry out a radiosurgery successfully was the Apollo Hospital in Chennai.
- Neuroimaging: This technology of neuroimaging is now available in all the public as well as the private hospitals in India. Other secondary equipments required for neuroimaging like PET-CT, PET-MR, 320- Slice CT, transcranial Doppler, intraoperative MRI, mobile CTs etc. are also installed in maximum number of hospitals in India.
- Spinal Surgery Technology: Spinal surgery is considered to be the most important part of the neurosciences. But the latest technology of spinal surgery has made the treatment image guided, cost-effective and highly sophisticated.
- Neurotrauma: Neurotrauma is considered to be the most important aspect of the neurosurgery. There are many countries which do not have the basic neurotrauma emergency facilities
- Skull base surgery technology: In India trained otolaryngologist, maxillofacial surgeons, plastic surgeons, neuroanesthetists, neurointensivists etc. perform this surgery with the most expertise level and precision.
- Endovascular Surgery: this surgery has given a new perspective in the evolution of strokes, embolizing tumour vessels, stenting, AVMs, coiling of aneurysms etc. due to these new perspectives the doctors in India are able to research new methods of endovascular surgery to make it successful.
- Neuroanasthesia: In India, formally trained neuroanesthetists assist the neurosurgeons in the various surgeries. Anaesthesia being one of the most important aspect of this critical surgery, doctors are given practical training for 2-3 years to get this degree.
- Neuropathology: In India, in the year 1955 the first neuropathology was established by Dr. Darab Dastur in Mumbai. Expert doctors and researchers are dedicated to such brain banks where they study and develop different formulas of the neurogenetics. This helps in the successful neurosurgeries.
Neurosurgery patients are always been treated as the most delicate patients and their treatment and surgeries are always carried in the Intensive Care units. Currently in India, the fields like neuroendocrinology, neurophysiology, neuro-opthalmology, neurorehabilitation etc. are considered to be the sub specialities of the neuro sciences.
Due to the well trained nurses and the intensive care provided to the neuropatients in India, the number of deaths occurring due to the lack of good rehabilitation resources is now decreasing slowly. The people in India are having more faith and trust in the neurosurgery and neurosurgeons. The way in which the patients and the cases or neurological disorders are handled prove the professionalism. Thus, a number of patients from Africa, Europe, Iraq, Middle Eastern countries, USA etc. come to India to undergo the neurosurgeries.
The time after the surgery is the most important and a delicate time for the patients as well as the people living with them. The neuro patients must be taken care of in the following ways:
- They must be kept away from loud noises as the loud noises can affect the nerves in the brains directly.
- They must not be exposed to direct sun or wind.
- Their physical movements must be kept at a minimum level.
- They should not be told things which can give them a sudden mental shock or make them instable.
The doctors guide the patients about what they must and mustn’t do after the surgery.
There are a number of Neurosurgeries. The cost of neurosurgery is different for all the surgeries. But the general cost range of the neurosurgeries is as follows:
- For deep Brain Stimulation: 15,000 USD- 20,000 USD
- Brain Tumour Surgery: 8000 USD- 8500 USD
- Medium Complex Neurosurgeries: 5500 USD- 6000 USD
- Complex Neurosurgeries: 8000 USD- 12,000 USD
The following listed hospitals are the most renowned hospitals in India which are famous for their Neurosciences and everything related to neurosurgeries:
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute
- Medanta Medicity Hospital, Gurgaon
- Max Super Speciality Hospital
- Indian Spinal Injuries Centre , Delhi
- Columbia Asia, Bangalore
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Global health city, Chennai
Following are some of the best neurosurgeons in India who have been practicing for many years and have the best performance records in the field of Neurosciences:
- Sandeep Vaishya, 20 years of experience, Fortis Memorial Research institute, Gurgaon
- Arun Saroha , 19 years of experience, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Gurgaon
- Aditya Gupta, 21 years of experience, Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Rana Patir , 26 years’ experience, Fortis Hospital, Vasant Kunj
- Manvir Bhatia , 23 years of experience, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket, New Delhi
- Rohan Sinha, 16 years of experience, Jaypee Hospital, Noida
- Matthew Abraham, 32 years of experience, Aster Medicity, Kochi
- Amit Shrivastav, 14 years of experience, Jaypee Hospital , Noida