Due to the advancement in medical sciences and technology, the original implants are made of such a quality and technique, that they last for 15-20 years after the surgery. After this life, the original implant will start wearing out of its functionality will decrease. When a person is overweight or he does heavy physical movements (walking/ running for a long period of time) then the efficiency of the already implanted prosthesis gets reduced. It is very important to do a knee revision surgery due to the following reasons:
- The artificial implants can get infected.
- The little worn off particles of the implants can get stuck in the joints causing to infection.
- The implants can change its position or get dislocated.
- The old implants might make the patient feel uncomfortable and the knee might start paining restricting their physical activity.
The knee revision surgery can be done in two ways:
- Two step procedure: In this procedure, the surgeon removes the old implants and replaces it with temporary cement implants. For a period of about 6 weeks. In this period, the person has to take some antibiotics. After this period, the cement implants are removed and the bones which are damaged are resurfaced. Then the new implants are attached to the resurfaced bone like done in the original surgery.
- One step procedure: In this process, the old implants are removed. The bones and the joint area is cleaned till the infection goes away. Immediately, the new implants are attached to it.The knee revision surgery can take around 2-3 hours and it is much complicated and critical than the original knee replacement surgery.
- Arthroplasty: In this surgical method, the entire operation is carried out by inserting small camera and equipment’s inside the knee area by making a very small incision.
Implants can be among the following material:
- Metal (cobalt-chrome, titanium)
The surgeon can also advise sometimes to use a combination of the above materials in order to create an optimal implant for the patient.
The cost of single knee revision surgery in India starts from $7000. The price may vary based on the type of implants opted for, the stay in hospital, doctor’s fees etc. However, if this price is compared with the knee revision surgery cost in other nations, India offers the best treatment in a reasonable cost. That is the reason why a number of people come to India for this surgery.
- Hospital Stay : 3 Days
- Single Room Cost: $7875
- Twin Sharing Cost: $6825
- Post Discharge Stay in India: 5 Days
- The person must immediately identify any abnormal pain, swelling, irritation etc. in his knees and consult a doctor immediately because the knee infections can reach till a very critical stage.
- The patient must consider all the factors like cost, age, degree of damage and pain, future implications etc. before opting for the surgery.
- He must also follow all the exercises given by the physiotherapist and ret well after the surgery.
Patient who undergo the knee replacement surgery, have to go through the revision knee surgery after an average period of 15 years. The Knee revision surgery is a very serious injury as compare to knee replacement. However, very few people (2-3%) have to face problems after the surgery. The other patients lead a happy life.
Following are some of the best hospital chains in India which offer the knee replacement as well as knee revision surgeries:
- Wockhardt Hospitals in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad
- Apollo Hospitals in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Delhi
- Fortis Hospitals in Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata etc.
- BGS Hospitals in Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad
- Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- MIOT Hospital, Chennai
Following are some of the best surgeons working in some of the best hospitals in India. They have an experience of more than 15 years in this field:
- Dr. Appaji Krishnan
- Dr. Vinay Joshi
- Dr. Sudhir Kumar
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal
- Dr. IPS Oberoi
- Dr. Gyan Sagar Tucker
“I am from Germany. I am 53 years old and a homemaker. 14 years back I had undergone a knee replacement surgery in Germany. At that time my doctor had told me that I could live my life normally for the next 20 years and I will never have any knee problems. But after the surgery, my weight suddenly started increasing. Also, I had too much of work at home. I had to walk in the whole house for the whole day for watering plants, cooking, laundry etc. Due to this, just after 4 years of surgery my knee started paining unbearably so I consulted my surgeon again. After some tests, he told me that I had an infection in my knee and I should undergo a knee replacement surgery. As I had undergone a surgery just 6 years back, I couldn’t afford the surgery in Germany. But I had no other option. So I started researching about it. That is when I came across the MedTour2India in India. They provided me help in getting knee revision surgery. So I immediately booked my flight tickets and flew to India. The doctors there guided me through everything. The service and the cost I got there was exceptional. It has been 1 years after my knee replacement surgery and I don’t feel any pain in the knees anymore. It was a good decision to get operated in India. I would suggest the knee patients to go to India and consult the best experienced doctors for their knee treatment.”Stella, Germany
“When I was starting to have knee problems. I thought I will have to spend my future like an old person. But then I consulted one of the famous doctors in India. He advised me to get the knee replacement surgery done. The surgery was successful. After 13 years of surgery, I started feeling uneasy in my knee area. I could not walk for a longer period of time. Day after day, the pain was increasing. So I consulted the doctor who had done my Knee replacement surgery through MedTour2India. He advised me to go through Knee revision to reduce the pain. I took the further required steps and within next 2 months I had my knee revised. Dr. Vivek helped me a lot before the surgery, suggested me the best implant options, surgery method and also gave me all the moral support like my own family member. Also after the surgery, he followed up with me and made sure if my knee joint was fine. The hospital that I was admitted in also gave me the best service. I thank my doctor, MedTour2India and such caring hospital staff for bringing me out of the pain.”Abdullah, Afghanistan