A knee is a joint of two bones, the thigh bone and the leg bone. The joint of these two bones is made of ligaments, tendons and are covered with thin layers of cartilage which help them to reduce the friction and absorb the shock. There is a continuous secretion between the joint called as the Synovial fluid which helps in lubricating the cartilages and enables smooth movement.
A knee replacement surgery is done when the cartilages rub with each other and become rough like sandpaper. This causes immense pain in the joints while walking or during any other movement. The damage can be observed in the Patella (the knee cap), Tibia (the shin bone) or the Femur (thigh bone). In the knee Replacement procedure, the surgeons cut of the damaged part of the damaged bone. This part is then replaced with an artificial replica of the damaged part. . It is called as an implant or prosthesis in medical terms. A very high level of precision is required while resurfacing the damaged bones because the implants should fit properly on the head of the bones
The prosthesis used in the Knee Replacement Surgery can be of many types as follows:
Metal and plastic: in most of the cases, the knee components are made of metal and plastic.
Cemented prosthesis: The cemented prosthesis is used on a large scale in India. In this type of implant, the implant is attached to the resurfaced bone with the help of surgical cement.
Uncemented prosthesis: In this case, the implant is attached with the porous surface of the bone on which the bone starts developing gradually. However, this type of implant is very rarely used in the replacement process.
Hybrid implants: The surgeons may use various kinds of combination of implants for knee replacement. The combination can be Metal-plastic, Metal-, metal, Cement- metal, etc.
The type of implant to be used for the patient is decided by the surgeon after studying the case of the patient.
- Total Knee Replacement: In this, the joint surfaces of the shin bone and thigh bone are completely replaced with new implants.
- Unicompartmental (Partial) knee Replacement: In this surgery, only one component is damaged and replaced with an artificial implant.
- Kneecap Replacement: In this surgery, only the knee cap (Patella) is replaced with an implant keeping the other bones in their natural state.
- Complex/ Revision Knee Replacement: when a person has already gone through many knee replacement surgeries before, a revision knee surgery is advised to him. In this surgery, the knee implant is fixed permanently inside the damaged bones.
- Minimally invasive knee surgery: In this surgery, a very small incision is made in the knee are and it is operated by inserting a small HD camera and robotic tools and equipments. This type of surgery is also called as the arthroplasty.
- Bilateral knee replacement: In this surgeries, the knees of both the legs are operated at the same time in the same surgery. This means, after the surgery, the recovery time taken will be same for both knees.
According to a survey, the life of implants of 90% of patients is more than 15 years. Also, the success rate of knee replacement in India is the highest. In only 1-2%, the patient suffers from infections after the surgery, blood clots, strokes, high blood pressure etc. The latest technology and the experienced surgeons make the knee replacement surgery successful.
There are a number of precautions to follow after the surgery:
- A proper care of the wound should be taken. It should not be exposed to water (kept dry) and it should be dressed clean at regular intervals.
- Restricted physical activity: following activities should not be done after the surgery:
- Sitting with legs crossed
- Continuous sitting/ standing for a long period of time
- Climbing more than one stair at a time
- Sleeping on the side of the operated knee
- Sitting on high chairs
- One must immediately contact the doctor if he feels anything unusual (irritation in the calf, extreme pain in the knee, swelling of any part of the operated leg etc.).
The knee replacement cost in India starts from $6600. This cost is low when compared to the other countries like USA, UK, Europe, etc. The arthroscopic knee replacement surgery cost is a bit higher than open surgery as it involves the use of best technology. The reasonable cost and the best standard quality of service provided is the reason why India has become an international medical hub. Hence, many patients from other countries prefer to come to India to undergo this surgery.
Unilateral Knee Replacement (With Implant)
- Hospital Stay : 5 Days
- Single Room Cost: $7875
- Twin Sharing Cost: $6825
- Post Discharge Stay in India: 7 Days
Bilateral Knee Replacement (With Implant)
- Hospital Stay : 7 Days
- Single Room Cost: $11550
- Twin Sharing Cost: $13125
- Post Discharge Stay in India: 14 Days
Following are the best hospitals in India which provide the best service to their patients and promise a successful knee surgery:
- Fortis Hospital, Mumbai
- P.D Hinduja National Hospital, Mumbai
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai
- Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
- Apollo Hospital, Bangalore
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi
- Moolchand Orthopaedics Hospital, New Delhi
Some of the best and experienced knee surgeons in India are as follows:
- Dr. Vikram Shah
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal
- Dr. Niraj Vora
- Dr. Sanjay Desai
- Dr. Rakesh Rajput
My wife was experiencing excruciating pain in her knees due to the age. We contacted many surgeons in Delhi through MedTour2India but after meeting Dr. Venkatachalam my mother was convinced to undergo a Knee Replacement Surgery in India. She also had some kidney complications and thus, we needed a green signal from a nephrologist. Dr. Venkatachalam guided us to the best nephrologist and explained him our case. After the proper tests, clearances, X-rays, etc. my wife’s knees were operated successfully. To my surprise, my mother was discharged from the hospital just in 10 days after the operation. As instructed by the Physiotherapist, she started light exercises of her knees. After a few weeks she was walking slowly. Currently, she can walk like normal people, climb stairs, go out and stroll. Because of her replaced knees, she feels confident and is leading her life happily. This is all because of Dr. Venkatachalam’s expert advice, guidance and care.
Abraham Oluwatoye, Nigeria
I felt extreme pain in my knee joints. Firstly I thought it was just a temporary pain. But then I could not walk properly, or move my knee with comfort. I had visited a doctor in our locality, who suggested a knee replacement surgery but the cost was too high. After some research, I found out that India provides the best quality Knee replacement surgery in a reasonable cost. So I made up my mind to come to India. There I consulted,through MedTour2India, Dr. Harshvardhan Hegde who is one of the best orthopedic surgeons in India. He guided me through the procedure and I was successfully operated. I returned back to Nigeria after recovery and started walking. Now, I can walk with ease. The joint pains very rarely but otherwise I do feel very fit. Dr. Harshvardhan played a very important role in changing my life and giving me hope of walking and moving again properly. I consider myself very lucky to get the best doctor in this field and also the best care in the hospital after my knee replacement surgery. Thank you MedTour2India for the wonderful service.