Our shoulder consists of three main bones- the arm bone which is called as the humerus, the shoulder blade called as the scapula and the collarbone called as the clavicle. The upper arm bone has a ball like bone at the upper end of it and the shoulder bone has a hollow socket. The ball like structure fits perfectly in the shoulder blade socket and helps in the movement of the arm. There are many veins in the shoulder joint which secrete a fluid which helps in the smooth movement of the shoulder.
The shoulder joint can get damaged due to the increasing age of a person. It can also be because of some heavy activity or an injury due to which the shoulder might get dislocated. The three bones of the joints can get worn due to friction and start paining. In such cases, the patient is required to undergo a Shoulder Joint replacement surgery. In the normal shoulder replacement surgery, the damaged upper arm bone is cut of and is replaced by a metal ball. The metal ball is inserted inside the bone with the help of a stem. The other part of the joint that is the shoulder socket is also capped with a plastic. Even after the surgery, the lubricating fluid gets secreted and all the other functions take place like before.
Following are some of the types of Shoulder joint replacement surgery:
- Total Shoulder replacement: In this surgery the ball like implant is made of metal and the socket is made of plastic.
- Stemmed Hemiarthroplasty: In this method, only the humerus situated on the arm bone is replaced with a metal ball like prosthesis. The socket is remained in its natural form.
- Resurfacing Hemiarthroplasty: instead of replacing the entire humerus, the cartilage on the upper bone arm is just resurfaced and cover with a metallic cap.
- Reverse total Shoulder Replacement: In this method, the implants are exchanged. The plastic socket is removed and fitted on the humerus and the metal ball is attached on the shoulder blade socket.
Generally the arm bone implant is made of metal and the shoulder blade socket is made of plastic. These implants are attached to the respective bones with the help of surgical cement.
Following points can be considered as useful tips after the surgery:
- The patient must rest totally after the surgery. More the patient rests, faster is his recovery rate.
- If the shoulder pains after the surgery, the best remedy is to give it some heat. Due to heat, the muscles of the shoulders loosen up.
- The patient must do all the exercises given by his physiotherapist regularly. If he feels any irritation in the operated are, he must immediately follow up with the physiotherapist.
According to a survey, the success rate of shoulder replacement surgery is very high as compared to the hip or knee replacement surgery. Only 0.5-1% of cases suffer an infection after the surgery. Also, the infection happened after the surgery can be treated without any risk.
The lowest limit of the shoulder replacement cost in India is $8500. This cost is very less if compared with the same surgery in other countries. However, one cannot see any compromise on the grounds of quality of the treatment. Due to the best treatment options and the affordable prices, more and more people are coming to India for this surgery.
- Hospital Stay : 6 Days
- Single Room Cost: $9240
- Twin Sharing Cost: $8400
- Post Discharge Stay in India: 7 Days
Following are some of the best hospitals in India for this surgery that one can suggest to the others:
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
- Fortis escort Heart Institute, Delhi
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon
- Primus Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi
Following are some of the well know doctors in this field of expertise:
- Dr. Anurag Awasthi, Gurgaon
- Dr. Debashish
- Dr. Anubhav Gulati, Gurgaon
- Dr. Shekhar Agarwal, Delhi
“I am Benjamin, from England. While I was doing skiing, I slipped on the snow and fell down with a thud on my shoulder. The shoulder started paining within next 10 minutes. I thought it was because of the snow. But the pain kept increasing. So I immediately consulted an orthopaedic doctor. After checking my shoulder, he concluded that I need a shoulder replacement surgery to be done. When I was discussing my problem with a friend he suggested to go to India for the replacement surgery. After reading some testimonials and some articles on MedTour2India website, I decided to go to India to for my shoulder replacement surgery. MedTour2India helped me get surgery in Fortis hospitals and also guided me with my visa procedure etc. I got operated in the next 2 months. The doctor and the staff provided the best service to me and were very friendly. It has been 1.5 months after my surgery and still the MedTour2India team from India keeps a check on me through mails. It was a very good and trouble free experience in India at a very low cost.”Benjamin, UK
“I am 63 years old and an Indian resident. Because of the increasing age, all the joints in my body started paining. My physiotherapist first guided me through some Physiotherapy. The pain in the joints of knees, ankles, and hip got decreased in 6 months, but my shoulder joint pained a lot. With the help of my family, I chose a good hospital in Mumbai and decided to get operated because the pain was becoming unbearable. After 4 years of my shoulder replacement surgery, I can now move my shoulders freely. I have some restrictions due to my age, but I feel very healthy. This is all because of my doctor.”Ramesh, India